Lee Falls Trail Hike, Oconee State Park, SC -- 9.2018

Sometimes when we expect great things, we become disappointed.  In other instances where we expect less and presume nothing, we are rejoiced in our findings.  I believe that we as humans at times get in the way of our own happiness.  We worry, get nervous, feel pressured, race against a 24hr clock, and put high expectations on ourselves and our results.  We are always chasing the next goal, the next finishing line, only to reset the goal even further.  Its only human nature.  Its great to motivate and goal set, but at times it can quickly become overwhelming.

Recently it has been a practice of mine when I feel pressure from "life" getting too much, I try to make myself stop and get outside.  I quickly scroll through new trails on my app to see what is close, trail distances, vertical feet, etc.  I have tried to approach these adventures with a clear mind and heart while letting the path unfold in front of me.  

Lee Falls was a hike where this method was very successful.  As many of you, I had been working at my career into the late night and then trying to get my house in order for a house-warming party coming up rapidly that I was WAY behind in planning.  Gus (my Boxer) was becoming restless, so were my legs.  Walking around town or for work trips isn't the same as getting out and exploring with hiking boots on.  

There were a variety of reviews on my AllTrails App for Lee Falls, but we decided to push on and hit Lee Falls up ourselves and let the experience be the judge.


Lee Falls Trail is located in a remote part of Oconee State Park.  We snaked down a dirt road for miles past beautiful farmland and old weathered houses where nature has already started to take back the land.  The parking lot was small and secluded.  I wasn't sure what Gus and I signed up for, but we tried to keep an open mind and let the path unfold.

We made our way through several narrow open fields that recently appeared the tall grasses were cut.  The trails was not marked well at all.  There were also several streams to forge by hopping across strategically places rocks.  We headed on through what must have been a fifth set of narrow open fields and came to a path on the far right of the field opening.  There began the actual trail to the falls.
  

Don't worry!  If you are afraid of spiders I am certain that every spiderweb and cobweb in South Carolina found my face as I strolled down the path that early morning.  I don't know about you, but after a few sticky run-ins, I feel as if I constantly have webs wrapped around my hair and face which leads to constant swatting and head scratching.  Its an uncomfortable feeling to say the least.  

As we continued on, there was another stream forge then a precarious stream side trail covered in slick moss and morning dew.  This was a bit sketchy and if I were with friends not use to hiking, I would have likely turned around.


Once we started to hear the thunderous roar of Lee Falls, a quick glance up from the trail we could see the falls in its entirety.  Lee Falls creates about a 120 foot waterfall in two main flows with a smaller fall off to the left.  The moss covered bright green rocks allow for a perfect canvas on this painstakingly slow masterpiece.  Lee Falls was magnificent!  Currently it is one of my favorite falls so far.  We hung around for a bit and grabbed a few quick videos and photographs trying to capture Lee Falls splendor.  However, as in most of these type of situations, they never do any justice to the actual experience.


We had did it!  We approached this hike when we needed it the most.  The stress, fatigue and sense of pressure slowly faded away with every step towards this magical falls.  Once at the falls, the "real" world problems disappeared along with the water drops falling 120 feet to the rocks below.  I will always love large raw mountaintops above the timberline.  I will also be a continuous sucker for blue ocean waters and the sounds of waves crashing on the beach.  However, just recently I have found a new love for the thunderous sounds of waterfalls.  The more remote and less traveled; the better.

If you find yourself in the South Carolina, Upstate area near Greenville, this is a great secluded falls.  There wasn't much evidence of a ton of hikers or visitors.  Most people will stick to the more easily accessible falls.  Take a chance, try something new and try to reserve judgement until afterwards.  Let the path unfold.

Lee Falls
Distance: 3 miles
Vertical Feet: 213ft
Falls Rating:  Heck Yes!


Video from Our Visit to Lee Falls:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Epic Iceland Trip! -- 2.2019

Coyote Falls, Cashiers, North Carolina

Crane Creek Falls & Yellow Jacket Falls, South Carolina